Friday, January 7, 2011

Five Hours of Fumes

So, I made lots of progress recently on my tail!  More on that in a second.  First, a general update on life.

My job at Target is over next Thursday, thankfully!  It earned me a goodly sum of money, which was nice, but I was miserable for a while there.  Next weekend I attend Kangeiko with USA Martials Arts Florida, an amazing dojo and a group of people I consider my 'dojo family'.  I'm thrilled to be attending as it has always overlapped the Riverdale Kiwanis Medieval Faire and I missed it last year.  Well this year I skip the first weekend and advertise for The Pirate Ship Pieces of Eight on the second weekend.  I'm a bit saddened that Traveler's Hold will not be working at the Faire this year.  Then I have one more weekend in Fort Myers to celebrate a certain sailor's birthday.  She and her crewmate are working on the schooner Appledore V until about April.  If you're in the area you should charter them, it's a grand time and very historic!  Then I'm off to St. Petersburg and Tampa for about two and a half months!

Alright, back to my tail...and fumes.  I finally gained access to a heated pool, after a tad of drama.  It's a Jr. Olympic sized pool so you can imagine it's rather large and spacious.  For some of the time I had to avoid the lane swimmers and children but a couple hours later it was practically empty.  I tested out my monofin in a much nicer environment without buoyancy issues, and I was able to test out my gloves for the first time!  Both worked wonderfully and I was delighted to naturally take to the full body undulation needed to swim successfully in a monofin.  Since hardly anyone ever reads these I feel no need to stop babbling on extensively.  My friend took video with my new Android X [which I love].  I edited the clips and pieced them together to upload to youtube.  [Also, those socks work very nicely and help with the crappy straps and any possible chafing.]


That was on Tuesday the 4th of January 2011 [Happy New Year].  Yesterday on Thursday the 6th I spent about six hours working on tail construction.  I finished the top half of my pattern and I began cementing scraps of neoprene together, thus the fumes.  Sadly there was no high Scrumpy, only a mild headache for a bit, as the breeze outside was not constant.  I got large pieces done.  My only concern just now is having enough neoprene to finish construction.  I have enough if you count the 2mm I have but I can't but 2mm to 3mm and I don't want different thicknesses.  I may have to thrift store bounce to find some more 3mm.  Anyhow, I just need to do some more construction and acquire more neoprene.  It's just a matter of time now that I have everything.

Finishing the pattern
about to finish that seam up top, front side of tail
very obviously the back piece
Keep an eye out for more updates!  <3

No comments:

Post a Comment