Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Dragons, Seahorses, and College Students

I have missed St. Petersburg, more than I had realised.  Saturday morning I went to the market, something I won't be able to do again until late April.  I went to get delicious pad thai for breakfast, which was no longer there, and to listen to The Empty Hats perform.  It was the first time I've ever seen them perform without Lynda/Lucy, a bit odd but Carl's son, Caleb, did a splendid job.  Great music and a wonderful atmosphere.  I also made friends with Carl's neighbour who does henna, Victory Henna.  She did a delightful seahorse on my left forearm, and invited me to 'family dinner nights' on Tuesdays.  I will have a social life outside of work!

Classes at the college have been making quilts for Project Linus, and a few of my Costume Shop seamstresses have been making slightly fancier ones.  I grumbled and griped about how I now needed to make a quilt for it as well.  One of my workers suggested I do one for a boy since so many of them are made for the girls.  I pulled out my graph paper and rifled through some designs and tossed a few things together.





The dragon will be breathing out fire and smoke yarn.  The other side is a shield and sword.  I have already begun construction, many of the students in the shop are impressed.  It's really very simple, and my first quilt of this style was done in...2000?  I was about 12 at the time.  Anyhow, construction is going well.





How about a tail update?  All four layers of weatherstripping adhesive are on the fluke.  I did a couple of ALEX/createx paint tests, they went well.  I also poured the lead shot into the fluke tubing.  an ALEX and water mixture was poured in as well but the weatherstripping did not have a watertight seal.  Some of it stayed in the lead.  The next two steps are to apply ALEX over the weatherstripping for aesthetics and to ensure that it is watertight, and to pour more ALEX and water down inside the tubing to hold the lead in place and add even more weight.  Hopefully I can add the ALEX onto the outside tonight, after I have dinner with an old friend.  As that dries I can pour more into the tubing.  I will also need to redo the fluke pattern a bit.

I'm a dork and I used up some excess test paint making the yellow snot silverish.


Alright, I'm off to work some more on the quilt and getting the costume shop ready for the play in April.  ciao biatches

No comments:

Post a Comment